DIY FT Simple Cub | Build

by FliteTest | June 28, 2017 | (16 Ratings) Posted in How To

FTScratchBuild

Josh takes you step-by-step through how to build the new FT Simple Cub! As always, it is highly suggested to watch the video as you build.

Power Pod

• Assemble power pod. Cut holes to help route ESC. Clear out cavities.
  • Make A-folds and reinforce with hot glue. Make sure both sides are nice and square (90 degree angles).
  • Install firewall with hot glue (hold 30 seconds). Reinforce with tape.
  • Put tape on tabs. Open holes with barbecue skewers.
  • Assemble motor. (Watch video for details.) Don’t put on the propeller just yet.
  • Mount motor onto powerpod on firewall.
  • Mount ESC on bottom. Test the servos in manual mode. Make sure it spins counter-clockwise.
  • Pass battery connectors and ESC wire into powerpod.
  • Center control horns. Watch video for details

Wing

• Open up cavities and remove. (See video for details)
  • Center spar: Make A fold with hot glue. Glue foam to foam, not paper. Repeat on other side of spar.
  • Make C fold with hot glue. Repeat on second wing.
  • Cut 45 degree bevel on first wing. Repeat on second wing.
  • Attach both wings together with tape. See video for details.
  • Glue in crease. Remove excess foam.
  • Pop out aileron holes.
  • Attach spar with hot glue.
  • Contour wings and begin to fold over. Reinforce with hot glue. Watch video for details.
  • Create dihedral for wing. Use dihedral gages. Reinforce with hot glue. Reinforce with tape. Watch video for details.

Fuselage

• Clear out cavities for folds. Watch video for details.
  • Glue doublers.
  • Establish crease line on back edge.
  • Make B fold with hot glue. Watch video for details on where to put hot glue. Repeat on other side.
  • Install bottom plate with hot glue.
  • Install windshield and nose. Watch video for details.
  • Install front cowling area.

Tail

• Bevel elevator and rudder. Reinforce with hot glue. Watch video for details.
  • Install tail on to airplane.

Servos, Push rods and Control Horns

Install according to video.

Final touches

(Watch video for details)

• Make and install landing gear.
  • Install wing.

Buy your own FT Simple Cub speed build kit here!

Check out the FT Simple Cub plans here:

FT Simple Cub
FT Simple Cub Full-Size
FT Simple Cub Tiled A Size
FT Simple Cub Tiled B Size

Thank you to Dan Sponholz for making these plans available to everyone!

What's your favorite thing about the FT Simple Cub? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

COMMENTS

schuttkerk@yahoo.com on August 9, 2017
This is a fairly easy cut out and assembly for a FliteTest scratch built with only about a dozen parts. The build video is good. In my opinion, the build skill level of 2 is accurate. I hope the flying skill level of 2 is also accurate!
Are the Simple Cub window decals available in the store?
nclindberg on June 28, 2017
Will there be plans for the floats?

PropSpinner on June 28, 2017
Where is Josh's head at the beginning of the video? I kept adjusting my screen thinking the aspect radio was off.

Oh, another great model and videos by the way. I was hoping Andres was going to help Josh with this build.
bozobernie on June 28, 2017
I have the "B" power pac and want to attach the motor to the wood fire wall but do not have a set of screws needed. Any suggestions where can I get some screws for the mounting of the red flange?
jhitesma on June 29, 2017
I've used servo mounting screws before...depends on the screw/motor mount though - sometimes the heads of the screws aren't quite bit enough.
gowen on July 10, 2017
Use 2.5mm zip ties. It works surprsingly well.
Shakeyjake on June 29, 2017
Would it cause too much drag to build larger tundra tires like the bushwacker from foam board? It seems like the bushwacker handles taller grass much easier.
gofaster72 on July 3, 2017
That's my thoughts exactly. Bigger would be better.
Pjb on June 29, 2017
Way to go Josh........nice design and easy build!!! Maybe in a future episode it would be of interest to show the process you use to establish the CG point in your new designs. This may be beneficial to those trying to design their own RC plane.
Jeremiah M on June 29, 2017
So how do I get the cutouts
mikeporterinmd on June 30, 2017
Are you asking where to get the kit with foam parts? You can order using the links above. If you live in the EU (or near it), I'm pretty sure there is a distributor in Germany. The plans are also available at the links given above. Consult the various articles on the best way to use the plans to build a kit.
MDHeld on July 21, 2017
Where can i get one of those monster tape dispensers, that thing is awesome.
jehavener@aol.com on July 1, 2017

The spec sheets for all versions show 38 inch wing span.
pkertt on June 30, 2017
looks great...what is the difference between the a size and b size plan....which one d
o i download?
StatiK RC on July 1, 2017
"A" size is bigger
SP0NZ on July 1, 2017
A and B are ANSI paper sizes in the United States. A-Size is US Letter and is 8.5 x 11 inches (this size will also work with ISO A4 sheet size). B-Size is US Ledger and is 11 x 17 inches (this size will also work with ISO A3 sheet size). A-Size is what all the previous tiled plans were available in. If you don't know what size to print, use the A-Size.
mikeporterinmd on June 30, 2017
Is this built with 5 gram servos or 9 gram servos? Are the 5 gram from the A pack strong enough?
StatiK RC on July 1, 2017
"A" size would definitely be able to handle the 9g servos. You could probably fit them on the "B" size as well, but it might be a tighter fit.
mikeporterinmd on July 11, 2017
A size and B size refer to the size of the paper you print the plans on, not the size of the plane. You should always print your plans at 100% scaling.
jehavener@aol.com on July 1, 2017
This is a most confusing set of plans.
FT Simple Cub
FT Simple Cub Full-Size
FT Simple Cub Tiled A Size
FT Simple Cub Tiled B Size
What do these mean? Please explain.
I just want to build one.
SP0NZ on July 1, 2017
jehavener@aol.com on July 2, 2017
Thanks. I had no idea that it had to do with paper size, etc.
FlyingMonkey on July 1, 2017
The first set is the entire plans, the single sheet full sized as well as the tiled.

Full sized is just that, one sheet for the entire plan, in case you have a large format printer or want to convert for laser cutter/CNC

A is the original 8.5"x11" paper sized.

B is for other countries that use 11" x 17" as their standard print size.
Cbrdriver on July 2, 2017
A technique I use when gluing in the servos. . .
Two 3/16" dowels with small pieces of foam board glued between them on each end.
Since it's foam board on both ends, it's the perfect size to slide into the stab, holding the elevator or rudder perfectly straight. Then I have two free hands to work with the glue and servo.
MoHawkins on July 4, 2017
you can use flat popsicle sticks and foam pieces too. Works a treat
mikeporterinmd on July 11, 2017
I use two pieces of scrap foam and small, plastic spring clamps. Nice to see I am not the only one who has trouble holding the surfaces straight while trying to get the servo glued in properly!
Latubi on July 3, 2017
Any chance someone drawing a dummy engine model for this?
Rhishikesh kandge on July 5, 2017
Will a 10x4.5 prop work instead of an 8x4.5 prop same motor, and a 30 amp esc..
KD8MST on July 7, 2017
I'm working on designing a 3D printed version of the landing gear mount, anyone know what size the landing gear wire is? (wire diameter)
fennz@me.com on July 7, 2017
I'm guessing 3/32" from the way it bends, but I'm going to try 1/8" to see if it will work with a little more rigidity.
fennz@me.com on July 7, 2017
Once again, Josh’s build video is excellent, and Dan’s tiled plans are superb! This is the fourth scratch build I have done from FT plans, and all others have worked out really well. Although I haven’t finished the Cub build yet (waiting for electronics from China…) I’m sure it will work out well too. I consider myself somewhat of a novice still, but friends are amazed at how well previous builds have flown. For previous builds, I taped the plans to the foam board and then did the cuts right though the plans. This required carefully keeping all of the paper bits together using bits of tape until all cuts were made. This time, I used my wife’s tracing wheel from her sewing kit to trace the plans onto the foam board. Seems to have worked well. One really minor thing, I think the bevel on the rudder in the plans is on the opposite surface to what Josh recommends in the video, but I could be wrong. As I say, extremely minor point. Thanks very much Josh, Dan & the FT gang for another great plan!!
dr_nick on July 7, 2017
when will the speed build kit be available in EU via graupner (or others)? desperate to get our hands on this, and not sure we're ready for scratch build just yet... would love to just be able to print this off myself!
Missaka on July 19, 2017
Hi friends

Can I fly this cub with a 1100kv motor is it possible?
johnbecker31 on July 24, 2017
I use an 1100kv and 3S or 4S. 30amp (overkill??) ESC, and the thing handles both excellent. This cub is so forgiving, I have built 4 and all fly well right off of the bench. Almost ashamed to say, I don't even check the CG anymore.
Missaka on July 24, 2017
Wow awesome cub with 4s. Thanks for your quick reply now I can use 1100kv 👍👍
bozobernie on July 20, 2017
Love the plane. When will the cub t-shirts become available in he yellow color?
SmamuelAdaMz on July 21, 2017
I have as much fun building these planes as flying them so I have already built 2 planes before getting any electronics. The other plane I made was the baby blender, it calls for an either a B or C power pack. The simple cub calls for a B power pack. My question is will the cub fly with both a B or a C pack, and if so which one is better for a beginner.
jkostenov on July 25, 2017
Can I use a park 450 890kv?
bozobernie on July 29, 2017
What color yellow paint was used on the cub in the review video. Full scale cubs are painted with "Cub Yellow" paint". Will the simple cub t-shirt in the yellow color be available in the store soon?
kotor83 on August 5, 2017
This is by far one of the easiest builds I've ever undertaken. Your plans are extremely easy to follow, especially when used in conjunction with the build video on YouTube. I was able to knock out a single plane with an extra set of wings, one with ailerons (4channel) and one without (3channel), in a single evening.

I think my next project will either be the Guinea Pig or the Sea Duck, both much more intense than this build.

SwineFlew on August 11, 2017
Is it just me or is there an error on the piece Fuselage Bottom - Back (piece 3) in the full sized .pdf plans? The crease line/ tapper seem to be about 1/4" to far to the rear, and the whole piece seems too long overall. When lining up the small end of piece 3 to the rearmost part of the folded up fuselage, the crease mark on piece 3 doesn't align with crease/bend in the assembled fuselage. And the wide end with the folded over paper protrudes over the landing gear mount slot. I have check and double checked my plans and printer scaling and even measure directly in the plans. Definitely seems wrong to me. I have manipulated the plans in Adobe Indesign to show the misalignment, and can forward .pdfs or .jpgs to verify.
Doug Paynter on August 20, 2017
I have purchased a simple cub speed build kit which is arriving shortly. I already have a D2826 2200kv Turnigy Motor with a Nano-tech 2200mah battery. I understand this is a fairly decent size power set up. Will this work on this plane (ie be to heavy/to powerful) or would i be best off purchasing a smaller motor to start off with? Glad of any feedback.
ChandlerRC on September 22, 2017
Just completed a Simple Cub plan build. Maiden this morning was exceptionally nice. No bad habits. One flight and some hardware trims, then back in the air for more characterization. Flew like a homesick angel. Tons of aileron even in the stalls. Lands gentle as a feather. What a sweet flying design.

ograthe on September 30, 2017
This is my first build and everything seems to be going well but I can't figure out how to connect the battery to everything else. In my head it seems like the battery should plug into the ESC but none of the connectors match. There is a JST connector on the ESC which I think needs to connect to the XT60 on the battery.

Am I missing something obvious or do I have to solder a new connector to the ESC?
pericox on October 19, 2017
hola, arme el simple cub, y al volar tengo problemas con el viento, estoy usando un motor RCTimer BC2836/6 1500KV , helices de 10x4.5 y bateria de 1300 3s 30c.
ya estrellado varias veces, en que puedo estar fallando, este hacion es entrenador??

You need to log-in to comment on articles.